National Basketball League of Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expansion to Kingston?

2 posters

Go down

Expansion to Kingston? Empty Expansion to Kingston?

Post by JJSA Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:45 pm

If you remember, Kingston was to be a charter member of the NBL in 2011(as was Barrie), but for some reason it fell through at the last minute. I seem to remember the reasoning being that the city of Kingston wasn't sure about spending money on fronting the cash for a court etc at the K Rock Centre.

With the first season in the books and season two about to get underway with expansion to Windsor, I have to wonder if Kingston is second guessing their original hesitation on jumping on the NBL wagon.

In my opinion, Kingston would be a perfect fit for the NBL, we just need an owner to step forward here in the Limestone City.

Anyone else think it's only a matter of time before the NBL comes to Kingston?
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Expansion to Kingston? Empty Ready to Embrace Ball

Post by Cansportswriting Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:01 pm

Is there enough of a basketball culture in Kingston to garnish support for a professional team? What is the pulse of the grassroots towards pro ball? Is the University population invested in the idea of watching mainly Americans strut their stuff on hardwood instead of chasing a frozen disc around an ice service.
I originate from Peterborough, Ontario - a mad hockey town.
BUT in the early 80's Peterborough hosted a high school basketball tournament called the Coca Cola Classic. For the Final at Trent University between the Eastern Commerce Saints and Pickering the place was rocking. Players were introduced by spotlight and there was a real buzz. My point - promote basketball properly for what it is (excitement) and it will succeed in the deepest, darkest parts of Canada.
Cansportswriting
Cansportswriting

https://www.facebook.com/FireBasketball

Back to top Go down

Expansion to Kingston? Empty Re: Expansion to Kingston?

Post by JJSA Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:14 pm

As poor as the Gaels basketball program has been for the past few years (2-20 last season) they are still supported pretty well by the city. I'm unsure about grassroots ball and highschool ball as it's not something I personally pay attention to, so I really can't comment on that part.

I do know that the league was in talks with a possible owner looking to bring a team to Kingston for this season, but I do not know who the owner was or why those specific talks broke down. I am aware of a few articles being written by the Queen's Journal in recent months in strong support of an NBL team here, as well as a Twitter and Facebook account in support of the NBL in Kingston.

Geographically speaking, Kingston is a goldmine for the league. 2.5 hours from Montreal, 2.5 hours from Oshawa and 2 hours from Ottawa. If Ottawa gets accepted for 2013/2014 and Kingston follows, they would be instant and natural rivals.

JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Cansportswriting Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:12 am

Kingston sounds like a good bet BUT I know there is still a BIG red-neck lobby in the media that will keep basketball in the shadows - just like many other Ontario mid sized markets. What is the new gym like at Queens? It looks pretty sharp.
Cansportswriting
Cansportswriting

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:22 am

The gym at the ARC is AMAZING. Seats about 2,000 and is a great place to watch a game. Hopefully the Gaels can pick up a few more wins there this season. lol!

As nice as the Gaels gym is, I stll think that if Kingston was to get an NBL team that they should play at the K Rock Centre. I think it would seat around 5,000-6,000. A perfect size for this growing league.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Cansportswriting Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:39 am

I know it is the mandate of the league to stay out of college and university gyms but I was curious about the ARC as I saw photos. I am a big CIS basketball supporter. My son attends basketball camps at St Bonaventure (US) and Brock (CIS) and to be honest he enjoys the Badgers camp more. Hopefully the NBLC will have more connection to CIS ball. Tut Ruach (York) was a prime example that good CIS players can be marquee players in the NBLC. In the CIS I'm hopeful that better infrastructure (gyms, scholarships) will lead to more home grown players staying home. I'm eager to see the new Court at Ryerson.
As for Kingston and the NBLC - unfortunately I can see a franchise shift out of Oshawa given that the Power may be on life support and looking to sell.
Cansportswriting
Cansportswriting

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:44 am

Not that i'm hoping Oshawa fails...but if they must move, I would be the first to get season tickets if they were to land here. Very Happy
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down