National Basketball League of Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ottawa Franchise: What We Know

+2
sherridan
JJSA
6 posters

Go down

Ottawa Franchise: What We Know Empty Ottawa Franchise: What We Know

Post by JJSA Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:18 pm

Ok, thanks to the Ottawa Business Journal's November 9th article, we now know that Ottawa has been granted an expansion team and will begin play next season. We know they will play the 2013/2014 season at Scotiabank Place (Yikes) and probably/hopefully move to the Civic Centre once the rebuilding of Lansdowne is finished. We know the ownership group. (Sound like solid owners to me...is anyone from the Ottawa area familiar with them?)

We will find out more on November 21st when the team holds a press conference.

Any guesses on the name? I'll go with Capitals.

http://www.obj.ca/Local/Sports%20and%20entertainment/2012-11-09/article-3117568/Ottawa-basketball-franchise-set-to-launch-in-2013/1
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Ottawa Franchise: What We Know Empty Re: Ottawa Franchise: What We Know

Post by sherridan Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:29 pm

Very strange to see an announcement of this sort in the first month of the new season...

I too worry about playing out of an NHL size arena.

Also, the article states the league averages 3000-3500 fans a game - which is inaccurate. More along the lines of 2000 fans a game.

Curious if this is a back up market to Montreal or Oshawa....

sherridan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashcleaner Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:31 am

I have a feeling it's where Oshawa will end up. I think the Jazz has a real shot in Montreal. If Oshawa can't even get 1000 people out to watch their home opener, they're just not gonna last in this city.
Cashcleaner
Cashcleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:09 am

I don't disagree that the Power will probably be leaving Oshawa (If attendance doesn't pick up in a big way AND quick), but, I'm pretty sure Ottawa is an expansion franchise rather than a case of relocation as the ownership group is already in place in Ottawa.

My guess is that if the Power do in fact look to move next year, the best bets seem to be either Kingston or Sydney; that is unless the NBL wants to start looking towards the West with a team in Winnipeg or something. But in my opinion it's still far too early to stretch to the west. Plus you can bet the league doesn't want to outright lose a team in Ontario.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by sajc Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:12 pm

Maybe Oshawa make move to Toronto and add other great rivarly for Ottawa and Montreal if Powers attendance does not improve quickly.

sajc

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashcleaner Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:53 am

^ Well, as I mentioned in another thread, Brampton has lost their hockey team (Brampton Battalion of the OHL) to North Bay. Perhaps the Power will end up on the west side of Toronto playing there?
Cashcleaner
Cashcleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:42 pm

Cashcleaner wrote:^ Brampton has lost their hockey team (Brampton Battalion of the OHL) to North Bay. Perhaps the Power will end up on the west side of Toronto playing there?

I really hope this (or anything like this) does not happen. The reason Brampton lost their OHL team is because they flat out did not support it. The GTA is funny like that...it's Leafs and then everything else. I think Oshawa has shown that the NBL needs to stay clear of the GTA, because it's a wasteland of failed and underexposed teams.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by reidjr Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:41 pm

While i am very happy were going to have a team in Ottawa there will be 3 teams playing out of the Sbp next year that concerns me plus with all the other non sports events the place will be packed with events.

reidjr

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty Fresh Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:20 pm

I totally agree with JJSA. If an OHL team can't survive in a market it will be a tough sell to have a basketball team be successful. The GTA does seem to be only into the "big time" sports teams. Hamilton would probably be the best bet in Ontario staying close to the GTA. Oddly enough I think St. Catherines would probably be a solid option also.
Minty Fresh
Minty Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty Fresh Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:23 pm

Back to the Ottawa topic, I really really really hope ScotiaBank Place is not where they start the season. Not only would it feel completely empty even with 3000 people in it, it is way too far out of the city centre. Games have to be easy to get to. Until fans are well and truly enthused about the team and league, they won't be willing to put that much effort into going to a game.
Minty Fresh
Minty Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down