National Basketball League of Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lightning about to set a new league attendance record on Family Day

3 posters

Go down

Lightning about to set a new league attendance record on Family Day Empty Lightning about to set a new league attendance record on Family Day

Post by JJSA Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:53 am

Word is that the London Lightning will probably set (another) league attendance record this Monday vs Brampton. Will likely be around 8,000 in attendance.

I sure hope teams from around the league are calling the Lightning to ask for advice etc on how they can replicate their overwhelming success thus far.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Lightning about to set a new league attendance record on Family Day Empty Re: Lightning about to set a new league attendance record on Family Day

Post by cflsteve Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:47 pm

JJSA wrote:Word is that the London Lightning will probably set (another) league attendance record this Monday vs Brampton. Will likely be around 8,000 in attendance.

I sure hope teams from around the league are calling the Lightning to ask for advice etc on how they can replicate their overwhelming success thus far.

Looking into it a Bit there are sevaral factors that have given them the Huge Sucess
1. RogersTV looks like it really covers London sports better than other RogersTV or other Cable provider network.
Seems that their is full coverage of the Western Mustangs sports, as well as the OHL London knights and of course the Lighning

2. Location London is located in a nice inbetween GTA and and Detroit-Windsor sports scene

That would most likely be the issue for Brampton and Mississauga to close to NBA Raptors and other Toronto area sports.

I did not see Ottawa on the RogersTV ottawa line up but I do see the 67's have a presence their. With both the 67's and Skyhawks both moving back to the reno's and named TD Bank arena in Landsdowne park. Also OSEG runs TD Arena now and will promote the events in the building even though they do not own the Ottawa franchise.

Speaking of nice newer arena's Budweiser Gardens a pro type facility.

Hamilton also has a pro like Arena and now being run by global spectrum now has a corporate naming rights sold and a new scoreboard.
Like what Rogers TC does in London Hamilton's Cable provider netrork has great coverage of Hamilton sports AHL Bulldogs and MAC Mauraders U sports. S for those in Hamiton they know where to tune in for Hamilton sports.
Talked about this on a different Forum and would not be surprised to see one of the GTA teams move to Hamilton with Global Spectum activiely going after one of those teams to give them another FT tenant and about how the coverage on Hamilton Channel 14.

In the Altlantic division RogerTV does broadcast Saint John and Montcton game but aside from HS sports they really do not seem to cover much sports.

From what I have read Eastlink TV also covers sports very well in Halifax with Rainmen, mooseheads Junior Hockey and SMU and Dal U sports.
Looking at attendance from prior seasons it looks like the Rainmen also do well. Also have a pro like arena in the Metro Centre being built awhile ago but hav had moder Reno's made

Brampton could be OK but attendance troubles for OHL teams in the past again too close to Toronto sports.
Moving to Guelph or K-W region. Guelph has the newer arena and both have their OHL on RogerTV and could braodcast in both Guelph and K-W

I am not sure about the Island team

cflsteve

Back to top Go down

Lightning about to set a new league attendance record on Family Day Empty Re: Lightning about to set a new league attendance record on Family Day

Post by Penguin022 Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:24 pm

Tomorrow I'll be watching the game to see how many fans the Lightning gets!
Penguin022
Penguin022

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:07 am

Well I was correct in saying that they would set a new league attendance record. The crazy thing is that they broke the record by a mere 3 people through the turnstile! New league record is now 7,396!

Never the less, the Lightning just keep placing the bar higher and higher and higher. I'm willing to bet that London will do a hard sell out for at least 1 playoff game.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down