National Basketball League of Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hamilton. The timing could be perfect

3 posters

Go down

Hamilton. The timing could be perfect Empty Hamilton. The timing could be perfect

Post by cflsteve Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 pm

The turn around of the CFL and the building of Tim Horton's Field should really revive the sports scene in Hamilton.
The talk of an NASL team also owned by Bob Young seems to be ready to gain traction after the 2015 Womens World Cup.

Copps was built in hopes of having a NHL team enter the frame but that ship has sailed.
The AHL Bulldogs have been their for 15 years now and one full time tennant for that Arena is not enough.

Local TV. Like most of the NBL teams there games are carried by their local cable provider network: Rogers TV, Eastlink. In Hamilton Cable 14 already broadcasts AHL BullDogs and have produced and Broadcasted a Tiger Cats game for local Hamilton TV since TSN did not broadcast that pre season game

Hamiton has officially handed over the operating rights to Global Spectrum S&E. One of the largest arena operating companies in US and Canada.
Currently they operate
WFCU Centre in Windsor.
Budweiser Gardens London.

SO they have ties to the NBL. So whether an expansion group were to start a team or two newly located teams in Missuaga who recently relocated or the Brampton franchise, Which both seem to be close to each other and may attract from the same fan base.

A much better Central division could look like this.

Windsor
London
Hamilton
Mississauga/Brampton
Ottawa

I think this would be a better spead of seperate fan bases and a Hmilton team south of Toronto and a Missuagua or Brampton team North of Toronto in the GTA would be much better rivals.
Bulldogs Marlies AHL
Hamilton Toronto(GTA stadium) CFL
Hamilton GTA team NBL

what are the thoughts about this

cflsteve

Back to top Go down

Hamilton. The timing could be perfect Empty Re: Hamilton. The timing could be perfect

Post by Penguin022 Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:24 am

Great idea! This would be a pretty good time for Hamilton to rise, and I believe I heard some talk about them getting a team. Yes, the WFCU and Budweiser Gardens do hold 2 of the Central Division teams. It seems to be very fitting for Hamilton to join the league.
Penguin022
Penguin022

Back to top Go down

Hamilton. The timing could be perfect Empty Re: Hamilton. The timing could be perfect

Post by cflsteve Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:09 pm

Penguin022 wrote:Great idea! This would be a pretty good time for Hamilton to rise, and I believe I heard some talk about them getting a team. Yes, the WFCU and Budweiser Gardens do hold 2 of the Central Division teams. It seems to be very fitting for Hamilton to join the league.

The Power moved from Oshawa to Mississauga and the A's Popped up in Brampton.
How is that working out attendance wise and could it be possible that one could make a move to Hamilton to Copps to fill a gap of a whole city of Hamilton for a fan base?

cflsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:56 pm

I'll be kind and say Brampton's attendance has been OK this season. However I don't see any way the Power can stay in Mississauga, as attendance there has been almost non existent. Perhaps the Power moving to Hamilton could work? With Southern Ontario already with 4 franchises (and 3 of them are having a hard time pushing people through the gates) I don't see the league adding a 5th in that region.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by cflsteve Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:01 pm

JJSA wrote:I'll be kind and say Brampton's attendance has been OK this season. However I don't see any way the Power can stay in Mississauga, as attendance there has been almost non existent. Perhaps the Power moving to Hamilton could work? With Southern Ontario already with 4 franchises (and 3 of them are having a hard time pushing people through the gates) I don't see the league adding a 5th in that region.

With Copps beign there with tenents needed and anew Stadium for Football and Possibily soccer could revitalize the sports scene south of Toronto at the lower part of the Golder Horsshoe in Canada.
Could Bob Young aka "caretaker" lead a Hamilton sports and entertainment group partnering with the AHL Bulldogs and add an NBL of Canada team as well as an NASL team and even add a OHL team

cflsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:00 am

Honestly I can't really see Bobby owning another team. I think he's lost enough money owning the Ti-Cats.  Razz 
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by cflsteve Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:14 pm

JJSA wrote:Honestly I can't really see Bobby owning another team. I think he's lost enough money owning the Ti-Cats.  Razz 

That may be true but that is why I could see him being part of and S&E group with him running the Ticats and maybe the soccer team but adding the AHL Bulldogs owner as a partner to that group could streamline the costs synsergy of sponsors to help with the cost of bringing in a NASL team and an NBL team.
With the new stadium and although Copps is a little older now it is still been buitl in a moder time for sport era so adaptable and chanhes over the years would make it a solid home for a NBL franchise and is already been a solid home for the AHL Bulldogs for the lasst 15 years. That is a pretty long time for an AHL frnachise

cflsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by cflsteve Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:47 pm

Since Global Spectrum has taken ove as manager of Copps they have a 3.5 million dollar deal for naming rights and they have already replaced the old outdted scoreboard.
With only on Tennant AHL Bulldogs I would almost be assured that they will be looking for other full time tennants NBL is really the only other league that could fill the void.

cflsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by cflsteve Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:51 pm

Bad year for Ottawa to enter the league but things should change next season when they move to Landsdowne and TD Bank Arena with the 67's.
OSEG does not own the Ottawa NBL team but they do manage the arena so they will be prooting NBL Games at the arena during 67's games as well as other media streams they have to promote events at the Arena.

cflsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Penguin022 Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:18 pm

Mhmm, I hope Ottawa does get some more fans! Very Happy 
Penguin022
Penguin022

Back to top Go down

Post by cflsteve Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:29 pm

Penguin022 wrote:Mhmm, I hope Ottawa does get some more fans! Very Happy 

Although the Ottawa team is not owned by the OSEG but will be playing at the TD Place Arena next season so the OSEG, who manages the Arena and the stadium, will be involved in promoting events at their venue which will be a big plus.
The 67s when playing at the Arena in Landsdowne draw ove 6K per game so thos going to those games or looking at upcoming events at the TD Place arena and stadium will see an Ottawa team is playing there.
As I said they should also have a Local TV deal in place on Rogers TV which the 67's also have their local broadcasts as well

cflsteve

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum