National Basketball League of Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time running out for Oshawa

+3
Cashcleaner
JJSA
Powerfan#1
7 posters

Go down

Time running out for Oshawa Empty Time running out for Oshawa

Post by Powerfan#1 Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:30 pm

I just caught some of tonight's game online and was just shocked at the attendance. I knew there would be a large drop off from last year but this is just crazy. I would guess that at least half of the regulars that attended last year have bailed and virtually no new fans were created. Last year the Power had games near the end of the season in the 800 - 1,000 range, which wasn't great, but at least something to build on. Now the attendance is well below 500 and heading quickly to zero! I don't believe this team will make it through this year and will fold at some point. It's all a shame really but it was all easily predictable!!!

Powerfan#1

Back to top Go down

Time running out for Oshawa Empty Re: Time running out for Oshawa

Post by JJSA Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:23 am

When I got home from work I turned the game on, at first I thought it was the pregame warm up based on looking at nothing but empty seats...just pathetic. I think the league needs to be looking at moving the Power to another market in Ontario, because the writing is on the wall in Oshawa. Sad.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashcleaner Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:26 am

I gotta tell you guys, it's got nothing to do with Oshawa, and everything to do with The Power. From Day 1 there has been almost no marketing from the team's front office. A few 2-for-1 ticket offers over the course of a season just aren't enough to generate the level of interest needed to support a team.

It's a real shame.
Cashcleaner
Cashcleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:07 am

True, but did Rogers not buy every ticket for a game last season and give them away for like 4,500 fans? Where did those people go? It's gotta be a combo of things to blame in this one. Either way, they are getting to be a real burden to the league.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty Fresh Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:22 am

Cashcleaner has a point. I don't live in the area so I can't say for sure but I talk to people I work with that live in Courtice/Whitby/Ajax and they said they don't hear about the games at all really. The odd newspaper ad. Its great to get 4500 out but you have to keep promoting and keeping it in peoples minds. Go out to schools and get the kids into it. Parents will take them because its cheap entertainment if the kids like it. Turns them all into fans.
Minty Fresh
Minty Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post by reidjr Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:31 am

Minty Fresh wrote:Cashcleaner has a point. I don't live in the area so I can't say for sure but I talk to people I work with that live in Courtice/Whitby/Ajax and they said they don't hear about the games at all really. The odd newspaper ad. Its great to get 4500 out but you have to keep promoting and keeping it in peoples minds. Go out to schools and get the kids into it. Parents will take them because its cheap entertainment if the kids like it. Turns them all into fans.

If you look at the amount of teams in the Gta very few get support i think the main reason is people think there above minor sports.

reidjr

Back to top Go down

Post by stormy69 Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:41 am

Really wish that the power could turn it around, losing a franchise during the season is not good for the league as a whole although i would think the league brass is working on a plan to move the franchise should it become nessacary at some point. Ottawa is in for next season and rumours say Kingston wants in, Get the ball rolling to K-Town and work this thing out.

stormy69

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:01 pm

If they don't market the team in Oshawa or Whitby then they deserve to lose every penny they are losing with each passing day...it's called natural selection.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Powerfan#1 Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:26 am

I was at tonight's game and there was maybe 150 people there! If they can't do better than that on a Saturday night during the NHL lock-out, and no Raptors or Generals games on , then it is time give it up. They have a pretty decent hard working team too and I had a great time as always but the atmosphere is dreadful!
I wish that a group of wealthy people that incuded local basketball legends like Leo Rautins and Jaamal Magloire would buy this team and turn this thing around. If I had the money, I would do this myself... this could have been and should have been something good!

Powerfan#1

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:03 am

Who are the owners of this team? I think it's about time that we start calling them out big time.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by JJSA Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:53 pm

I just saw on Facebook from someone who went to the Oshawa Santa Claus parade that the Power had NO representation in the parade. Just pathetic marketing and ownership. I feel bad for the players and for the few die hard fans in the Oshawa area.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashcleaner Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:47 am

^ They had an away game in Summerside, I beleive.
Cashcleaner
Cashcleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Last edited by Crush*Power*1 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by misenern Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:09 pm

Crush*Power*1 wrote:They had a home game against summerside. I volunteer with them which is understandable that they were not at the Oshawa Parade.

But they have zero plans on going to any parades wthis year, which is a simple way to get the word out.

What exactly is this group planning anyway? They've obviously given up on Oshawa. Why are they still floating this team? Are they looking to move to another market and start fresh, while maintaining basic functions for this season? Are they looking to sell to another group that would otherwise be eying expansion?

For what I can gather, half or potentially all of last year's ownership have jumped ship. But there is still a group that's funding the team just enough to play the game. Does anyone know what's going on?

misenern

Back to top Go down

Post by misenern Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:31 am

Crush*Power*1 wrote:It is true that 3/4 of last years management staff and ownership have jumped ship. I am still trying to figure out who exactly owns the team and what there plans are.

Thanks for the info. Keep us posted.

misenern

Back to top Go down

Post by Minty Fresh Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:16 pm

What is nice to see is the players and coaches not giving up despite what looks like an incredible lack of organization from management/ownership. They are still fighting on the court. Almost literally on Sunday in London. Hopefully things turn around for them but I'm not optimistic.
Minty Fresh
Minty Fresh

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashcleaner Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:35 pm

^ I hear that. Gotta give props to the guys on the court, despite the low numbers in the crowd.
Cashcleaner
Cashcleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down