National Basketball League of Canada
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking forward to the Season

4 posters

Go down

Looking forward to the Season Empty Looking forward to the Season

Post by Daddyo Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:00 pm

Didn't make any games last year, but plan on attending as often as possible this year. Really want to see this league grow in Canada and really want a team in Oshawa (Durham Region) since it's an easy hour drive.

Daddyo

Back to top Go down

Looking forward to the Season Empty Re: Looking forward to the Season

Post by JJSA Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:49 am

It would be a good time to start forking over some cash for games if you want them to stay in Oshawa past this season. They seem to be on a shoe string budget after poor attendance last year and I would not be surprised at all to see them move for 2013/2014 if there arn't more bums in the seats and shirts being sold this year.
JJSA
JJSA

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashcleaner Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:43 am

Really looking forward to the new season as well! I think I made it out to around 7 or 8 home games last season, but I'm hoping for more in 2013. I've been wanting the visit the East Coast for a few years now as well, so I might just make some away games to Moncton, Halifax, or Saint John.
Cashcleaner
Cashcleaner

Back to top Go down

Looking forward to the Season Empty I am officially out!

Post by Powerfan#1 Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:40 pm

I will not be renewing my seasons tickets this year. Today's trade of Morgan Lewis was what finally did it for me. These trades are made and are announced like they are trying to improve the team, when they are actually just dumping contracts and trying to get as cheap as possible. I mean: Morgan Lewis for a 3rd round pick in 2013 -PLEASE! Brandon Robinson for didley squat. Akeem Wright for nothing. Kevin Francis for a couple of stiffs.

Too bad the Raptors didn't try this city for their minor league team before the Power got here as I feel that pro basketball is dead in Oshawa thanks to the Power. They did not even try and market the team or players at all and now it looks like they are trying to put a team on the floor as cheap as possible. Well, good luck to them.

Maybe a miracle will happen and a new owner comes in with a willingness to open up his cheque book, but until then I may attend the odd game but I will have to get my basketball fix by attending some more Raptors games this year. What a shame! I was 100% dedicated in supporting my local team and also Canadian basketball.

Powerfan#1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashcleaner Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:15 am

I don't really know what to say other than try to hang in there.

Yeah, it's pretty much common knowledge that the Power are needing money badly, but let's have some perspective; the club is heading into it's second season ever and several other teams are also trying to find their place in their respective cities. Sure, London and Halifax have been relative successes, but no club is a juggernaut in this league - not yet at least, and most of the organization is still in it's infancy. I share your frustrations toward the front office and would totally agree that the club has "cheaped out" on a lot of things such as the website and promotions. I mean, even the team's logo and visual identity has a rough and amateurish look to them.

But the point is, all these things can be fixed over time. It may take some motivation from us fans to get things rolling, but I really think basketball in Oshawa can succeed with the right people making good decisions and having a vision for the club. Believe me, I'm a sports nut and quite a few of my teams have gone through extended rough spells (and I'm talking 5+ years of being absolute garbage), so as much as I like winning, I can stick it through one or two season of building a competitive team. Besides, a little pain makes winning all the more sweeter.

But if you're still not up for buying season tickets, maybe you should consider the 9-game flex packs? You still get a deal off the price of your seat but have a bit more flexibility.
Cashcleaner
Cashcleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Powerfan#1 Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 pm

What really bugs me about this ownership group is the constant quotes I keep hearing about it being all up to the fans on whether or not this team stays. This is not a NBA or NHL team we are talking about here. This is a minor pro basketball team in a new league. Most people in Oshawa don't know anything about this new league, or team for that matter. In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the team to educate the residents in the area of this new team in this new league by promotions, appearances, marketing, etc. They seemed to think that all they had to do was bring the team here and turn the lights on and open the doors and people will come. Well sure, this would be a reasonable expectation of a major league team but a minor league team requires some work and money. This ownership group did not feel this was their job and I think they were totally wrong and failed in this regard.

To be fair, they did do a decent job last year of having the players visit local schools, restaurant, hospitals. But this year they plan on operating the team on a paper thin budget with the threat that if fans don't show up, the team is history. I think they have pissed off the few fans they had like myself, by trading away their best players for future draft picks and cash. And when you are not going to spend money on marketing, players, or anything for that matter, how can the fans be expected to buy tickets? The only marketing strategy I see them using at the moment is the threat of moving or folding.

Like I said in my previous post, I am hoping for a new owner to come forward and take over from this group. I think it is our only hope...

Powerfan#1

Back to top Go down

Post by Cashcleaner Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:31 pm

Powerfan#1 wrote:What really bugs me about this ownership group is the constant quotes I keep hearing about it being all up to the fans on whether or not this team stays. This is not a NBA or NHL team we are talking about here. This is a minor pro basketball team in a new league. Most people in Oshawa don't know anything about this new league, or team for that matter. In my opinion, it is the responsibility of the team to educate the residents in the area of this new team in this new league by promotions, appearances, marketing, etc. They seemed to think that all they had to do was bring the team here and turn the lights on and open the doors and people will come. Well sure, this would be a reasonable expectation of a major league team but a minor league team requires some work and money. This ownership group did not feel this was their job and I think they were totally wrong and failed in this regard.

Oh I totally agree. I don't know what was going through their heads, but the initial marketing campaign for the team was very low-key and I think it was just by random chance that I found out that Oshawa even had a team. I guess the argument can be made that when all is said and done I was eventually made aware of the team, but info on the team was sporadic at best for a good part of last season.

To be fair, they did do a decent job last year of having the players visit local schools, restaurant, hospitals. But this year they plan on operating the team on a paper thin budget with the threat that if fans don't show up, the team is history. I think they have pissed off the few fans they had like myself, by trading away their best players for future draft picks and cash. And when you are not going to spend money on marketing, players, or anything for that matter, how can the fans be expected to buy tickets? The only marketing strategy I see them using at the moment is the threat of moving or folding.

In all honesty, I can't say I totally blame the owners for not wanting to throw good money after bad, though I agree it's wrong to blame the fans for a lack of interest. And unloading some players for cash sounds like a bad thing, but if it can generate enough revenue to run another season here in town, it might buy the club enough time to bring in more fans.

Like I said in my previous post, I am hoping for a new owner to come forward and take over from this group. I think it is our only hope...

New ownership might help, though I would imagine anyone new would want to move the team the first chance they get.
Cashcleaner
Cashcleaner

Back to top Go down

Post by Powerfan#1 Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:39 am

"And unloading some players for cash sounds like a bad thing, but if it can generate enough revenue to run another season here in town, it might buy the club enough time to bring in more fans. "

You could be right! They may have killed off many fans that were there last year, but maybe they can get a hard working team together and surprise everbodyand bring in new fans. Coach Brickey has been around a long time in the game and has lot's of contacts. Maybe he can bring in some talent that we never heard of, but would fit in and do well in this league. Michael Ray Richardson brought his best players from his team in the PBL and look at how that turned out. It wouldn't really take that much to have a competive team too! An above average point guard, power forward, and a decent centre, then fill the remaining roster with team first guys and allow Robert Brickey to do his magic!

I think that Robert Brickey is the key remaining piece from last years squad. He is a superb coach that doesn't demand respect but it just comes his way naturally. He can take any group of players he has and get them to perform to their best as a team.

Should be interesting to see what kind of talent they can sign for cheap. I think I am going to be more interested in the visiting teams this year though, like the Lightning, Rainmen and the Kebs. Those teams look really good and should be fun to watch.

Powerfan#1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down